We’re delighted to be able to offer tours of St George’s. It is a church whose history is inextricably linked with that of Pocahontas and the USA and, of course, with the history and development of Gravesend itself. The present church opened in 1733 – there was a Gravesend Churches Act passed in Parliament in 1730! - replacing an earlier building burned down in the Great Fire of Gravesend in 1727. Extended and remodelled in the late 19th century, St George’s was almost sold off as ‘surplus to requirements’ in the period after World War II. An interesting turn of events in the 1960s led to St George’s becoming, once more, the parish church of Gravesend. We hope to have the church open on a regular basis in the next few months. In the meantime, tours can be arranged on request to the Rector.